Small Ship & Seasonal Cruise Line Jobs
When you’re looking for a cruise line job, don’t just apply to the well-known big name cruise lines.
There are a number of small ship specialty cruise lines as well as cruise lines that operate seasonally; both of these offer a wealth of employment opportunities.
What is considered to be a small ship?
Generally, any cruise line ship that carries fewer than 500 passengers is considered to be a small ship. They typically offer a more intimate cruising experience without the glitziness and pizzazz displayed on some of today’s mega cruise line ships.
What types of cruises are offered on small ships?
Many times a small ship cruise line will offer specialty itineraries like river cruising or exploring a unique destination such as the Antarctic or the Amazon. Or they may also operate specialty types of vessels like a paddle wheeler, barge, freighter, luxury yacht, tall sailing ship, or even a steamboat.
What are the advantages of working on a small ship?
- Because of a small ship’s size, you’ll be able to visit ports and destinations that a larger cruise ship can’t
- With a smaller number on employees onboard, it’s possible to establish a deeper camaraderie and friendships with fellow staff members
- Since a small cruise is typically a niche cruise catering to a select group of passengers, their fares are higher which translates into higher wages for cruise employees
- A contract with a large cruise line can consist of working seven days a week for six months or more while employment with a small ship is more flexible such as working six weeks on followed by two weeks off
What types of jobs are available on a small ship?
Again, because a small ship cruise is specialized, so are their staff and crew members. A small ship is typically looking for skilled employees that can help enhance the guest experience of their passengers. Examples of small ship cruise jobs include:
- Crew members like a captain, first mate, engineering staff, and deckhands
- Specialty instructors like those certified to teach scuba diving
- Presenters - this includes well qualified experts in their field like a historian, guide, or photographer
- Stewards work in the dining room and servicing guest cabins
- Chef, sous-chef, and kitchen prep staff
What are examples of small ship companies?
There are many small ship cruise lines based around the world. Some of these include:
What is a seasonal cruise?
A seasonal cruise line is one that operates only during certain months of the year at peak tourist times such as a riverboat cruise on the Mississippi or an Alaskan cruise. Small ship employment and seasonal cruise line jobs go hand in hand as many seasonal cruise lines operate small ships.
How to Get a Job
Free emails with tips and advice on how to get a job on-board a cruise ship.